Change font size
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:58 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: ARP Rod Bolts
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:11 am 
Haha, I just built a W24 Octo-Turbo, now what?!

Finally some CAR content...so this morning I played hookey from work (I've got to work Saturday) and was planning on getting the rotating assembly off to my machine shop for final balancing. I was getting all of the parts together and noticed that the ARP bolts supplied by VPD are for a 6-bolt crank B20 (the most common type) - I, of course, have the later 8-bolt crank with the B21 style rods.

So the bolts I have are not going to work for this engine - and as the rod bolts are a rather critical part, I need the right part number for the B21 rod bolts. My rod bolts are in terrible shape (can't even get the nuts on them) and have been well beat. I've had the rods reconditioned so they are fine (straight - round etc) - so there is no point keeping what I have.

Anyone know what the B21 ARP rod bolt number is?

I've also got this posted on TBrix - most of the kids there ignore my posts, and will probably post some useless crap about us old people and our crappy B20's and the need to drift garbage...right Raz :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:27 pm 

Uh, ARP has an application for the B21? Crazy.

I have NO idea why you'd even bother, though... how high are you planning on running it? What kind of insane valve spring pressures have you got? I'm fairly certain that the stock ginormous bolts in the M rods can spin faster than that VPD head can flow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:15 pm 

ARP doesn't have a Volvo specific rod bolt, but the 351 Cleveland bolt is an exact match to the 6-bolt B20/B18 rod bolt. It's not that I'm planning on doing anything crazy - but my stock rod bolts are really that bad. They've been hammered on and I don't trust them to help me make 150hp. The ARP bolts that I have look like they would work, it's just that the head is different and I don't know how big of a deal that is. My thought is that the shank of the bolt is what holds it in place, so the head shouldn't matter that much. Does this make sense?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]